Balance Aged Care  Logo

Balance Retirement & Aged Care Specialists

Is residential aged care right for me?

The thought of moving into residential aged care for some people is daunting, & they are just not ready yet. So, what are the alternatives.

You can get care & support at home, this may come in the form of nursing care, or domestic (help with cleaning or shopping or meal preparation) or gardening or handyman work around the house.

You can pay for these services yourself, plus there is also access to Government assisted care via several Government initiatives. Either way whether it is subsidised by the Government or not, for most people they want to remain in their homes for as long as possible. Even if it costs money to get this help & assistance, isn’t it worth it to remain in your home, & it is probably cheaper than residential aged care until that time comes that you have no alternative but to get residential aged care.

There are many providers of care at home, & it is easy to arrange to get that help, simply call them. Tell them what help you want or need & pay for it yourself. We can help you find a way of paying for this care.

If you wish to take advantage of the Government assistance, then there are two main programmes;

  • Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) &
  • Home Care packages


Delivers small amounts of help & support, there is no income or means test assessment to be able to access CHSP, however once granted you may be expected to contribute towards this help.

You must be over 65 to be eligible, or over 50 & be at risk of homelessness or be homeless.

Simply call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422

2) Home Care Packages

The government subsidises “home care” subject to an INCOME assessment (as opposed to a Means Test assessment for residential aged care). The care is subject to CDC (Consumer Directed Care) meaning that you can use the subsidy in any way you wish ie it could be lawn mowing, or respite or nursing care, travel taking to & from doctors’ appointments or shopping etc).

The ACAT assessment will determine a level of care (Level 1,2, 3 or 4) & you will then be entered into the system, & ultimately be granted a care at home package. Once your package has been granted you can then choose a provider to deliver that package.


    Contact Balance Aged Care Specialists in regards to Aged Care Financial






    I am interested in
    I don't know where to start?I don't know, what I don't know?Which is the best way to go to fund aged care?What options do we have?Which option works best for us?Do I have to sell the home?Can I afford aged care?I need help filling in the Centrelink formWhat are the tricks, traps & pitfalls?Our situation is simple, (do I need help?)Do I have to complete the Centrelink form?How can I maximise the Age Pension?How can I minimise the Means Tested fees?How does it work if one of us needs to move into care & the other remains at home?Is residential aged care right for me?